The Resource 50 great American places : essential historic sites across the U.S.
- 50 great American places : essential historic sites across the U.S.
- Title remainder
- essential historic sites across the U.S.
- Statement of responsibility
- Brent D. Glass ; foreword by David McCullough
- Title variation
- Fifty great American places
- A one-of-a-kind guide to fifty of the most important cultural and historic sites in the United States guaranteed to fascinate, educate, and entertain, selected and described by the former director of the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. From Massachusetts to Florida to Washington to California, 50 Great American Places takes you on a journey through our nation's history. Sharing the inside stories of sites as old as Mesa Verde (Colorado) and Cahokia (Illinois) and as recent as Silicon Valley (California) and the Mall of America (Minnesota), each essay provides the historical context for places that represent fundamental American themes: the compelling story of democracy and self-government; the dramatic impact of military conflict; the powerful role of innovation and enterprise; the inspiring achievements of diverse cultural traditions; and the defining influence of the land and its resources. Expert historian Brent D. Glass explores these themes by connecting places, people, and events and reveals a national narrative that is often surprising, sometimes tragic, and always engaging; complete with photographs, websites for more information, and suggestions for other places nearby worth visiting. Sites you would expect to read about in Boston, New York, and Washington, DC are here, as well as plenty of surprises, such as the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe, or Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, or the Village Green in Hudson, Ohio; less obvious places that, together with the more well-known destinations, collectively tell the story of America. For families who want to take a trip that is both educational and entertaining, for history enthusiasts, or anyone curious about our country's greatest places, this book is the perfect guide
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- .G539 2016
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
ContextContext of 50 great American places : essential historic sites across the U.S.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 50 great American places : essential historic sites across the U.S.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.sherburnelibraryny.org/resource/I5i9lgk57A8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.sherburnelibraryny.org/resource/I5i9lgk57A8/">50 great American places : essential historic sites across the U.S.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.sherburnelibraryny.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.sherburnelibraryny.org/">Sherburne Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Sherburne Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...